REV Blog

Latest News

Renewable Energy Standard Reform Goes Live

by | Feb 2, 2023

REV’s legislative priority is to fix Vermont’s outdated, 2015 Renewable Energy Standard (RES). The current RES is fundamentally flawed because it does not prioritize the development of new renewable resources. REV has worked closely with a broad coalition of environmental and social responsibility organizations to create a clear, shared vision for RES reform focused directly on bringing new renewables online. On Wednesday, Legislators and citizens gather at the State House to express support for meaningful RES reform.

The event was led by Danielle Laberge of Grassroots Solar and featured Rep. Caleb Elder (D – Addison-4), Senator Ram Hinsdale (D-Chittenden District), Ian McDonald a citizen activist with No More Dirty Power in Killingly fighting the siting of a second large natural gas plant in Killingly, CT, Monte Green, an installer at SunCommon, Jaiel Pulskamp, the owner of Kettlesong Farm, and Richard Butz of Vermont Interfaith Power & Light. Wednesday’s event was covered by a range of media outlets including WPTZ TVABC TV, and the Seven Days.

The proposed bill – which will be sponsored in the House by Rep. Elder – will require Vermont to reach 100% renewable electricity by 2030 and cap energy purchases from existing renewable sources at 40% by 2035. The remaining 60% of Vermont’s electricity purchase will be required to come from new renewables located in New England and Vermont, with a minimum of 30% coming from in-state resources up to 5 MW in size.

The in-state renewable requirement, which would reach 20% by 2030 and 30% by 2035, would be supported by new procurement programs to ensure Vermont can affordably meet these goals. The procurement programs would create a new feed-in tariff for all non-net-metered projects up to 1.5MW and create a standard offer style reverse auction for projects between 1.5 MW and 5MW.

The bill would also clarify the aesthetic criteria used in the Section 248 Certificate of Public good process to ensure predictable and timely approval of renewable energy projects and direct the PUC to develop rules that guide and support the development of community solar.

Read an overview of the bill’s key provisions.

Join REV today

Subscribe to our newsletter and join the renewable energy revolution!

Subscribe to our mailing list and we'll send you monthly updates on renewable energy news and events in Vermont.

Share This